What we know about forward Shamsud-Din Jabbar

Spread the love

Reuters Police stand in darkness at the scene of the attack in New Orleans.Reuters

Ten people were killed and at least 35 injured after a man plowed into a large crowd in New Orleans, Louisiana, in the early hours of New Year’s Day, authorities said.

Here’s what we know so far about what happened and the perpetrator.

How did the attack unfold?

At 3:15 a.m. local time on New Year’s Day, a Ford pickup plowed into crowds gathered on Bourbon Street in the heart of New Orleans’ French Quarter.

CCTV footage shows a white Ford F-150 Lightning swerving onto the pavement to avoid a police car before hitting pedestrians.

Police described the act as “very deliberate”, adding that the attacker – identified as Shamsud-Din Jabbar – was “fiendishly bent on creating the carnage and damage he caused”.

“This guy was trying to run over as many people as he could,” said New Orleans Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick.

Jabbar was also armed and fired at law enforcement, wounding two officers. He was then killed by police firing.

Whit Davis, of Shreveport, Louisiana, told the BBC he was held in a bar with a large group after the attack while police secured the scene.

When they left, they “passed dead and injured bodies all over the street,” he said.

Who was Shamsud-Din Jabbar?

The FBI identified the attacker as Shamsud-Deen Jabbar, 42, an Army veteran and US citizen from Texas.

A flag linked to the Islamic State group was found in the vehicle he was driving, and the FBI said it was investigating what ties Jabbar may have had to terrorist groups.

The agency also said investigators do not believe the suspect is solely responsible for the attack. Suspected improvised explosive devices were found in the area.

A long gun was also found with a “suppressor” on it – acting as a silencer.

According to a now-removed LinkedIn profile, Jabbar worked in various roles in the US military, including human resources and IT, before being fired.

He studied at George State University from 2015 to 2017, graduating with a degree in Computer Information Systems.

He also appears to have worked in real estate, holding a license that expired in 2021. He had a criminal record related to traffic violations and theft.

The pickup truck he drives is electric and is believed to be rented in Texas through an app.

Who were the victims?

Police said 10 people were killed and at least 35 were injured. None have been publicly named.

The president of the University of Georgia said one of his students was critically injured, while the Israeli government said two citizens were among the injured.

Police said the victims appeared to be mostly New Orleans locals, although many tourists were visiting to celebrate the New Year and the now-postponed Sugar Bowl, part of the College Football Playoff.

It was scheduled to begin later Wednesday night at the Caesar Superdome, which is not far from the site of the attack.

Where did this happen?

Bourbon Street is a well-known nightlife and tourist hotspot that is full of restaurants, bars and live music clubs.

It is located in the French Quarter of New Orleans, a lively area that attracts tourists and locals, especially to celebrate the New Year.

It was created by the French in 1718. and the original grid of streets designed back then is at the heart of what attracts visitors to the city.

Each year, more than one million people flock to its famous carnival and Mardi Gras parade in the spring, famous for the strings of colorful beads worn by partygoers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *