After the attack by Reuters, the Sugar Bowl was postponed until Thursday

Spread the love

The Sugar Bowl between Georgia and Notre Dame has been postponed until Thursday after a fatal truck attack in New Orleans’ French Quarter early Wednesday morning, Sugar Bowl CEO Jeff Hundley announced Wednesday afternoon.

“We’ve consulted with ESPN, the College Football Playoff, the Southeastern Conference, the University of Georgia, Notre Dame, all of them,” Handley said in a press release. Everyone agrees that extending the game for 24 hours is in the best interest of everyone and public safety.

The FBI is investigating the incident as a terrorist act. The extension comes as law enforcement continues to comb the crime scene and secure the French Quarter.

An on-site shelter for the Bulldogs at their team hotel was operational, according to ESPN. At least one Georgia student was seriously injured in the attack and is being treated, the school said.

A driver “intended to cause carnage and destruction” drove at high speed through a crowd on Bourbon Street early Wednesday morning, killing 15 people and injuring at least 35, police said. Law enforcement identified the suspect as 42-year-old Shamsud Din Jabbar, a US citizen from Texas. A flag of the terrorist group known as IS was found on the suspect’s vehicle, police said.

“It was very intentional behavior,” New Orleans Police Superintendent Anne Kirkpatrick said. “This guy was trying to run over as many people as he could.”

Multiple reports said explosives were found at the scene, and New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell called the incident a “terrorist attack.”

Authorities said the suspect got out of the car with a gun and opened fire on police officers before being fatally shot. At least two officers were shot and wounded, officials said.

“The Sugar Bowl Committee has been saddened by the tragedy this morning. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. We are in ongoing discussions with local, state and federal officials and will provide more details as they become available,” Hundley said in a statement earlier in the day.

“When we realized the severity of the accident and what happened, we had to come together as a team and talk about what happened,” Notre Dame coach Marcus Freeman said on ESPN.

“What I told the team is, it’s during the toughest times that the culture of any program or country shines through. I have faith that this nation will rally around New Orleans and support all the victims and families affected today.”

Barring further delays, the CFP quarterfinals between the No. 2 seed Bulldogs (11-2) and the No. 7 Fighting Irish (12-1) will now begin Thursday afternoon at 4pm ET.

“We had to shift our focus to prepare for this game. We have to use the time we have today and tomorrow morning to continue to prepare for this opportunity,” Freeman said of the delay Wednesday.

Our focus should be here. We pray and pray for our country, we have support systems for everyone who needs someone to talk to, but we have to be ready for this great opportunity that we have in the Sugar Bowl. ”

— Field level media

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *