Trump credits Benioff, Huang for decision not to ‘surge’ Fed troops into San Francisco

Spread the love

President Trump had planned an operation in San Francisco to bring National Guard troops into the city, but he was willing to change course, he said. post Thursday on his social network Truth Social. Nvidia’s Jensen Huang and Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff were among tech industry luminaries who called him and convinced him to change his mind, the post said.

San Francisco Mayor Daniel Lurie confirmed this statement The military operation was planned and called off, though he did not name who had the conversation with the president.

Benioff’s involvement is particularly noteworthy. Earlier this month — shortly before Salesforce held its big tech conference in San Francisco, where it’s headquartered — Benioff (who was born and raised there) said He supported Trump. He also said he thinks National Guard troops should be sent to patrol its streets. Reason for that comment VC legend Ron Conway to resign his decade-long board seat at Salesforce’s philanthropic foundation and denounce both the comments and his friend, Benioff.

Benioff immediately apologized and regained his desire for National Guard patrols. “…After the largest and safest Dreamforce in our history, I don’t believe the National Guard is needed to handle security in San Francisco,” Benioff said. In a post by X So earlier this month, it appears the CEO doubled down and actually appealed the case to the White House as well.

Mayor Lurie will be speaking at TechCrunch Disrupt next week in San Francisco. Perhaps we’ll hear more about how the city, ground zero of the AI ​​industry, has improved security and rallied to mitigate the situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *