Lease Trust lawyers tell Keir Starmer to stop saying she ‘damaged the economy’.

Spread the love

Open the editor’s digest for free

Former British Prime Minister Liz Truss has sent a legal letter to Sir Keir Starmer to stop claiming she has “crashed the economy”.

A cease-and-desist letter sent by UK law firm Asersen on Wednesday and seen by the Financial Times said the statements about her actions were “false and defamatory”.

In the letter, he said the prime minister had “caused a lot of damage to her reputation” and even said such comments contributed to her losing her parliamentary seat in last year’s general election.

“Our client requests that you immediately cease and desist from repeating the defamatory statements,” the letter said. “We sincerely hope that this matter can be resolved now and that you avoid any further harm to our client.”

Starmer doubled down on his comments last Thursday. “I don’t think[the prime minister]is the only person in the country who has a view on the previous government’s handling of the economy,” a spokesman for the prime minister said.

In the year Truss’s brief stint as prime minister in 2022 comes after she oversaw a “minimum” budget that included a £45 billion tax cut that was not backed by the fall of the pound and the UK’s borrowing costs. She later resigned Only 44 days in officeReversing the entire budget.

Her intervention this week is likely to raise eyebrows in Westminster about Truas’ status as a staunch free speech campaigner. Last summer she threw her support behind Elon Musk’s free speech agenda, declaring on X: “I am appalled by the attacks on free speech in Britain and Europe. If we do not have freedom of speech, we cannot be truly free.

She has shown limited patience for criticism of her tenure in office after she was criticized for her economic record at an event last year.

TrustThe lawyers allege Starmer made three defamatory claims in June last year that she had “damaged the economy”, which were “false and misleading” and “grossly defamatory and indefensible”.

The letter, first reported by the Telegraph, calls on Starmer to drop the allegations and says the request was made “in the context of basic standards of civility among senior politicians”.

Starmer’s request from Truss comes after former Prime Minister Musk has been vocal on social media platform X in recent days in support of her criticism of Starmer and the historical marriage cases involving the sexual exploitation of girls.

Truss shared Musk’s tweets and commented that the billionaire was “right to take them.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *