Dozens killed in Israeli strikes in Gaza as new cease-fire talks begin Reuters

Spread the love

By Nidal Al-Mughrabi and Dawud Abu Alkas

CAIRO/GAZA (Reuters) – An Israeli military strike killed 12 people in a Gaza City home early on Saturday, raising the death toll in the latest day of violence in Gaza to 62, as Palestinian medics pushed for a new ceasefire in Qatar.

Residents and medics said at least 14 people broke into the al-Gula family home and destroyed the building in the early hours of the strike.

Medical experts said that people were searching the rubble for survivors, and that several children were among the dead. Hours after the attack, a few flames and smoke trails continued to rise from burning furniture in the rubble.

Ahmed Ayan, a neighbor of the Al-Gola family, said: “We were woken up at 2am (8pm) by the sound of a loud explosion,” adding that 14 or 15 people were staying in the house.

“Most of them are women and children, they’re all civilians, there’s no missile fired there, or no one from the opposition,” Ayan told Reuters.

There was no statement from the Israeli army about the incident.

The military announced in a statement on Saturday that it continued its operations in the city of Beit Hanon, where the troops had been operating for three months, and destroyed the military compound it was using. Hamas.

Three people were killed in an Israeli airstrike on a car east of Deir al-Balah in central Gaza on Saturday, medics said. Dozens of Palestinians were killed in Friday’s attacks, health officials said, bringing the death toll to 62 in the past 24 hours.

It comes amid a sharp increase in Israeli activity and a growing number of Palestinians before US President-elect Donald Trump took office on January 20, 2009, to reach a cease-fire in the 15-month war and release Israeli hostages.

Israeli mediators have been sent to Doha to continue the talks, brokered by Qatari and Egyptian mediators, and US President Joe Biden’s administration has urged Hamas, which is helping to broker the talks, to reach an agreement on Friday.

Hamas says it is committed to reaching an agreement, but says it is unclear how close the two sides should be.

© Reuters A Palestinian woman reacts to an attack on an Israeli home during clashes between Israel and Hamas in Gaza City, January 4, 2025. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas

In the year On October 7, 2023, Israel attacked Gaza in response to a Hamas attack in which militants stormed communities along the Gaza border, killing nearly 1,200 people and taking nearly 250 hostages.

According to Gaza’s Ministry of Health, the military operation, aimed at eliminating Hamas, has displaced many people from their homes and killed 45,717 Palestinians.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *