Ontario’s premier says he will pause an anti-tariff ad that angered Trump

Spread the love

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said he will halt his province’s ad campaign against U.S. tariffs after it prompted President Donald Trump to end trade talks.

Ford said he made the decision after speaking with Prime Minister Mark Carney on Friday, adding that the TV clip would be suspended on Monday “so trade talks can resume”.

It will still air on weekends on American networks, he said, including during Major League Baseball World Series games.

Carney told reporters earlier Friday that Canada is ready to resume trade talks with the United States “when the Americans are ready.”

Trump criticized the ad late Thursday night in a Truth Social post, calling it “FAKE” and “disgusting.” He said trade talks were “TERMINATED”.

The ad, which was sponsored by the Ontario government, quoted former U.S. President Ronald Reagan, a Republican and icon of American conservatism, as saying the tariffs “hurt every American.”

The video includes excerpts from a 1987 national radio address by Reagan that focused on foreign trade.

Trump’s termination of trade talks came after the Ronald Reagan Foundation, which is charged with preserving Reagan’s legacy, released a statement saying the ad used “selective” audio and video of the former president’s remarks.

He accused the ad of misrepresenting Reagan’s address and said the Ontario government did not seek permission to use it.

On Friday, Ford said the intent of the ad was to “start a conversation about the kind of economy Americans want to build” and the impact of the tariffs.

“We achieved our goal by reaching the US audience at the highest levels,” Ford said.

Earlier in the day, the Ontario premier shared Reagan’s full 1987 free and fair trade radio address, saying the former president knew Canada and the U.S. “were stronger together.”

The US has imposed a 35% tariff on all Canadian goods – although most are exempt under an existing free trade agreement. It also imposed sector-specific tariffs on Canadian goods, including 50% on metals and 25% on autos.

These sector-specific tariffs have particularly hurt Ontario, where most of Canada’s auto industry is based.

Since his election earlier this year, Prime Minister Carney has tried to broker a deal to ease tariffs. Three-quarters of Canada’s exports are sold to the US, making the economy particularly vulnerable.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *